Feedback on "American Women" | Teen Ink

Feedback on "American Women"

By ayah52001 GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
ayah52001 GOLD, Brooklyn, New York

"Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality."
--Edgar Allan Poe

Prejudice, no matter what anyone may argue, will always somewhat exist in our world.  Naomi Hall’s poem,” American Women,” is a huge wake up call for the many readers of Teen Ink.  Naomi channels the fact that there is a continuous discrimination against Middle Eastern women because of the way they dress and how they might chose to live.  The truth of the matter is that the discriminator may not be any better than the people who they judge unfairly.  In Naomi’s poem, she switches things around in that the discriminator is subject to prejudice too.  Naomi Hall describes the average American teenage girl from the short shorts to the crop tops and everything in between.  This poem clearly conveys the world’s perspective on certain races and the lesson that you should judge yourself before judging others. 
     The poem, “American Women,” is relatable to myself as well as those who find it wrong for people to form opinions of each other unjustly.  Naomi’s use of tone in her writing not only allows for a sarcastic connotation to show her stance but also a strong voice on the topic.  The meaningful message depicted by lines like, “… we are grateful that/ our daughters/ our granddaughters/ our mothers/ our grandmothers/ are not forced to wear hijabs/ who are we to judge?” reinforce fact that there are unspoken injustices because of prejudice.  Naomi Hall does a remarkable job flawlessly describing how harsh people’s criticisms can be in reality.