Feedback on "Nothing Like Ellen" by Eve Sherwood | Teen Ink

Feedback on "Nothing Like Ellen" by Eve Sherwood

December 3, 2014
By MundaneSoul SILVER, New York City, New York
MundaneSoul SILVER, New York City, New York
8 articles 0 photos 0 comments

     The piece "Nothing Like Ellen" by Eve Sherwood is well-written and very relatable. Eve describes her experience with her older sister, Ellen, and how "it felt as if I was living in her shadow." In her eyes, Ellen is talented and flawless, while Eve "had never been called pretty." She envies her older sister "for always stealing the spotlight" and being the center of their parents' attention- a feeling that many siblings often stumble upon.

     As the youngest of three sisters, I can understand Eve's emotions. My sisters constantly seem to outshine me in everything. Like Eve, although there is admiration towards our siblings, it is hard not to feel bitter and resentful at times. Being compared to a sibling hurts, and so we try to act like them ourselves. Eve felt like this at first: "a big sister wannabe." Later on, however, she decides to start being herself.

     I especially enjoyed Eve's piece, and her words continue stand out to me from the rest. She is straightforward and truthful, admitting to her anticipation of Ellen finally leaving for college. It's not an easy thing to do, to confess the guilty emotions you are secretly harboring within. Eve's writing is detailed and realistic, including multiple graphic events that can paint the scene right before my eyes. In just a matter of paragraphs, I can already see Eve's transition from wanting to be just like her older sister, to a strong and more confident girl.

     Eve's writing demonstrates that jealously is an emotion that is bound to spark between siblings at some point, but that we shouldn't let it stop us from being our own person. So, thank you, Eve, for letting me and countless others know that we aren't alone in this.