But He's Not White | Teen Ink

But He's Not White

By f.gavieres GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
f.gavieres GOLD, Brooklyn, New York

"You are enough, you are so enough, it's unbelievable how enough you are!" -Sierra Boggess

"But He's Not White" is a touching piece that teaches readers about family member differences. When I read this piece, I realized how every family member that comes about will not always look the same. When I was at a younger age, I always used to stare at families that looked "different". However, after I read this, I understood that some people may be adopted, and we as people can not always question it. As Caitlin Baratti says in the writing, "the circumstances of how that came to be are not relevant".
    I think this piece will further teach readers to second think their thoughts. People shouldn't question racial family differences because I, too, agree that, that information is none of their business. I can sense the feeling that Caitlin put into her writing, that those who ask, especially adults, should be mature and know better instead of asking such a question. "Our family was completely normal to us. But to other people it looked strange". Over all, I think that it should be the family's business instead of those who are too curious that they have the urge to ask.
    I think it's time to let the world know that a physical difference in a family shouldn't be explained. That's just how life is.

on Jan. 7 2015 at 12:16 am
Caitlin_Marie SILVER, Antioch, Illinois

Doing nothing is for the dead.

This is why I wrote but he's not white. Thank you.