American Women | Teen Ink

American Women

December 3, 2014
By R.bhuiyan GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
R.bhuiyan GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
10 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear bright until they speak"


     "American Women" by Naomi Hall is a touching poem about the Muslim attire, hijab. Being a hijabi-wearing muslim, this poem spoke to me in a strong manner. Hall put into words exactly what I constantly struggled to. She perfectly described the true meaning of a "measly and oppressive" peice of cloth, with an extremely enthralling poem. The hijab is a way for me to have chastity, and be shameful of my womanly parts. It's a way for me to guard myself from temptation. It is definitely not an oppressive garment.
     In "American Women", Hall gives a comparison between the modern American girl and the hijab-wearing Muslim that hopefuly put a new perspective on what hijab really is. She wasn't afraid to admit what present-day girls wear. She depicts this when she writes,"the teacher pats her back and whispers that he likes her skirt/my American daughter smiles and says, thank you". This gives us all a wake-up call on what direction our society is heading.
     "who are we to judge?" she says. Yes, enlighten me... who are you?