Feedback on "When I Hated My Body" | Teen Ink

Feedback on "When I Hated My Body"

By annieasdas GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
annieasdas GOLD, Brooklyn, New York

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.

The poem “When I Hated My Body” by Victoria Lopatka described what many girls wanted to say but couldn’t. The poem talks about how girls, at a certain age, start to dislike themselves and their physical appearance. Many girls, including myself, can relate. The writer describes how it doesn’t start out as hatred but turns into hatred after people say their thoughts. She gives a clear image of what her appearance looks like and how not all people are perfect. She uses examples from the Renaissance and Baroque time period to express the meaning behind ‘perfection.’ This poem left me with a feeling of confidence in my heart.
       The line “It is what makes me beautiful, and it is what makes you beautiful, your humanity and your reality, in a completely imperfect way” affected me the most. I love this line in the poem because it gives me courage to love myself the way I am. This line made me realize that I’m unique in my own ways and that I’ll never be perfect unless I see myself as being perfect. This poem made me think to myself that I’m not as bad as I thought and no one can judge me by the way I look. The poem was very well written and I loved the meaning behind it.