#hashtags This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

“#hashtags” by Adam L. is a slap in the face. Adam describes how hashtags were once used as a “symbol of inner clarity coupled with outward connectivity, a brilliant idea to socialize with the masses.” We used to be able to use them when we had ideas that we wanted to share with others, but now they are attached to the most meaningless and incoherent things. I can’t help but agree with him. #sotrue

Adam’s essay is thoughtful and ingenious, and provides insight into how many of us think about hastags. It is very well-written, using a sarcastic yet rational tone. The points that Adam makes are true, reasonable, and supported with evidence. But what made me really love this piece? The last paragraph, the hilarious conclusion. The article got me so worked up and ready to support this writer no matter what, but then the conclusion happened: “#hypocrites.” A change of events, and it caused me to laugh so hard! #lol #rofl

Well done, Adam. Well done.