Feedback on "On the Run" | Teen Ink

Feedback on "On the Run"

By sophiea1025 PLATINUM, New York City, New York
sophiea1025 PLATINUM, New York City, New York

"Say what you mean and mean what you say because those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter." Dr. Seuss

I found the piece “On the Run” by Olivia Wandres well written, poignant, and thoughtful. It tells the story of two girls trick-or-treating on Halloween night. They go around pranking people by spraying shaving cream in their mailboxes, having a good time. A car comes unexpectedly and hits the narrator’s friend, immediately killing her. The unknown driver never stops or turns back to see the damage.
       I personally liked this piece because of the way the Olivia made me think. It helped me  understand the issue of hit-and-run drivers and how serious it really is. One quote from the piece was especially moving: “She didn’t die because of me. And she didn’t die of cardiac arrest in hospital room 247. No, she was attacked on a children’s holiday, wearing her mom’s sheet and her favorite Chuck Taylors. She was a victim of hit-and-run.” “On the Run” captures the grief and pain of having a loved one killed. Had the driver been careful, a loss so devastating would have been easily avoided. Overall, I found this piece passionate and stirring.