Feedback on "On the Run" | Teen Ink

Feedback on "On the Run"

October 11, 2014
By sophiea1025 PLATINUM, New York City, New York
sophiea1025 PLATINUM, New York City, New York
21 articles 0 photos 9 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Say what you mean and mean what you say because those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter." Dr. Seuss


       I found the piece “On the Run” by Olivia Wandres well written, poignant, and thoughtful. It tells the story of two girls trick-or-treating on Halloween night. They go around pranking people by spraying shaving cream in their mailboxes, having a good time. A car comes unexpectedly and hits the narrator’s friend, immediately killing her. The unknown driver never stops or turns back to see the damage.
       I personally liked this piece because of the way the Olivia made me think. It helped me  understand the issue of hit-and-run drivers and how serious it really is. One quote from the piece was especially moving: “She didn’t die because of me. And she didn’t die of cardiac arrest in hospital room 247. No, she was attacked on a children’s holiday, wearing her mom’s sheet and her favorite Chuck Taylors. She was a victim of hit-and-run.” “On the Run” captures the grief and pain of having a loved one killed. Had the driver been careful, a loss so devastating would have been easily avoided. Overall, I found this piece passionate and stirring.