Feedback on "Cultural Theft" | Teen Ink

Feedback on "Cultural Theft"

October 8, 2014
By _hannah_ SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
_hannah_ SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
8 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
“A woman without a man is like a fish without a bicycle.”
― Gloria Steinem


     “Cultural Theft” by Alana Maisel is a brilliant point of view article about the appropriation of indigenous cultures in our society. It expresses how clothing stores, fashion magazines and costume shops turn significant, meaningful items, such as different prints and headdresses, into cheap and simple clothing that anyone can buy in any clothing store. These brands encourage regular people to wear symbolic Native American elements as a fashion  trend without understanding the story behind them. 
     Maisel’s article is straight-forward and covers everything that a person needs to know about the cultural theft that is currently going on. She provided important facts to support her opinion, which is essential for every great point of view piece. Most importantly, I completely agree with everything Alana Maisel had to say about this topic. I can’t go shopping without seeing “tribal” shirts and jewelry. We are surrounded with clothing stolen from Native American cultures without even knowing it. The quote that she included, “Indigenous cultures are morphed into fashion trends,” is a great way to summarize white America. Cultural appropriation is a problem in our world that is often over-looked and not taken seriously. I was glad to see this article in October’s issue and I hope more people read it and understand the problem.