Feedback on Cultural Theft | Teen Ink

Feedback on Cultural Theft

By Sollucks BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
Sollucks BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York

I recently received the October issue of Teen Ink and immediately noticed the article titled "Cultural Theft" by Alana Maisel. The article addressed that Native American cultures had become a misleading fashion trend, and that popular clothing and costume stores had misinformed their customers of what the culture really was. It made me very glad to see that I was not the only one with such a strong opinion against this topic. Today, popular clothing stores such as Forever 21 and H&M sell pants and baggy tops covered in "tribal print" and display them on mannequins and in windows. Young audiences who aren't educated on the topic mindlessly buy the items leading the stores to thinking that it's a successful trend.

Not only did the author do an outstanding job in clearly stating what she wanted to get across, but also gave a lot of useful evidence to change their opinion. Any part of me that once thought that placing stereotypical Native American "art" on merchandise was a good idea has been completely convinced to think otherwise. I'd like to thank the author, Alana Maisel for bringing attention to the topic and composing such a strong writing piece about it. 

The topic is something that had been previously mentioned, but never really brought to attention like it was in this article.