Feminism- Why We Need It

Feminist: One who stands for the equality of the sexes. That’s the Webster definition, but if you ask most American citizens to define feminists, you’d get something quite different.

In fact, a large percent of people in the United States associate those who call themselves Feminists to be rude, provocatively liberal women, whom don’t shave or wear bras. The word ‘feminist’ or ‘feminism’ can make a person instantly shut down, get upset, or become grossed out. But the United States of America needs Feminism, and I am prepared to be a part of the generation that finally gives equality to people of the female gender.

For over one hundred years, women have been in the workforce. Women have worked just as hard as men, but still, in 2014, they are paid less. People argue that men are paid more because they can do the job better; that they are suited for the job, while women are not. Others state that men deserve to be paid more because a woman will take a pregnancy leave at some point. However, that does not make it okay in any aspect to pay a woman less. What happens when a woman does not have the ability to get pregnant, does it still justify that argument? What about when a woman does her job twice as well as her male coworker, does that mean that the men working in that career should get less?

We need feminism because without it, we are unjust. Often times, when there are rape cases in the United States involving a man vs. woman, the blame (from society) goes to the female victim. People will argue that it might not have happened if she were wearing longer shorts, they argue that ‘she was asking for it’. How disgusting that rather than teach our citizens not to rape, we are teaching our citizens to carry whistles, to wear longer clothing?

We need feminism because women are kicked out of public places for breastfeeding. We need feminism because when asked to picture a CEO of a company, more people can see a man leading a business than a woman. We need feminism because if America is for the people, then it needs to be for the people, not just half.

RightWingExtremistThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 9 at 3:42 pm
Exactly, women deserve equal rights and protections under the law, and we Americans are working on it. What we don't need, however, is the adequately named "Feminazism" These people (unfortunately) are what comes to mind when people think of feminism. These are the kind of people who employ the victim mentality that basically means that woman's own bad decisions are not her fault and she's a victim of this "male-dominated culture." I believe rape is never the victims fault, it's always the rapis... (more »)

laurenevansokThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 16 at 9:44 am
I enjoyed reading this piece very much and it is well written with a clear connotation. Have you seen an american TV show called 'Parks and Recreation'? I would definitely recommend it. You'd attach yourself to the main female character Leslie Knope, she is a feminist and portrays it in such a positive way. Well done on your piece!

Trevin M. said...
Feb. 26 at 9:39 am
actually in rape cases with man vs. woman they dont always blame the women. it seems like courts are against men when it comes to something that deals with a man and a woman. take these for example: man hits a man no big deal woman hits a woman no big deal woman hits a man no big deal man hits a women to big of a deal

NatalieCarterThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Feb. 26 at 7:34 pm
Society often puts the blame on rape victims. Instead of teaching the fact that rape is wrong, often times it is asked, "What was he/she wearing?" or told, "he/she was asking for it,". There have been MANY rape cases here in the United States were the rapists have not been jailed. Feminism is not the concept that women should be better than men or get away with more, but rather than women and men are treated equally. Also, people shouldn't be hitting people-men or women. A man should not hit and... (more »)

Trevin M. replied...
Mar. 4 at 11:50 am
Im not saying people should hit others. I'm saying that if a woman does hit a man she should get equal punishment for if a man hits a woman. There were two people with hidden cameras and they hit each other (it was acting but the other people at the park didn't know it). When the man physically abused the woman just about every by stander took action. Women were crowding around and threatening to call the cops. But when the woman physically abused the man nobody cared they just sat there an... (more »)

sabrena99 said...
Aug. 18, 2014 at 12:20 am
such a good article, and very well written!! love u natalie!!

Dlcarter said...
Jul. 23, 2014 at 1:22 am
Wow...great article. We as women do need to push back against the biases and injustices brought upon us, not only here, but worldwide. Great points made in the article.