Feminism- Why We Need It | Teen Ink

Feminism- Why We Need It

June 24, 2014
By NatalieCarter BRONZE, Norco, California
NatalieCarter BRONZE, Norco, California
4 articles 1 photo 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"But I can brush the knots out of your hair and work the knots out of your back when your day becomes too much to bear. I may not be good at many things, but I can be good to you."


Feminist: One who stands for the equality of the sexes. That’s the Webster definition, but if you ask most American citizens to define feminists, you’d get something quite different.


In fact, a large percent of people in the United States associate those who call themselves Feminists to be rude, provocatively liberal women, whom don’t shave or wear bras. The word ‘feminist’ or ‘feminism’ can make a person instantly shut down, get upset, or become grossed out. But the United States of America needs Feminism, and I am prepared to be a part of the generation that finally gives equality to people of the female gender.


For over one hundred years, women have been in the workforce. Women have worked just as hard as men, but still, in 2014, they are paid less. People argue that men are paid more because they can do the job better; that they are suited for the job, while women are not. Others state that men deserve to be paid more because a woman will take a pregnancy leave at some point. However, that does not make it okay in any aspect to pay a woman less. What happens when a woman does not have the ability to get pregnant, does it still justify that argument? What about when a woman does her job twice as well as her male coworker, does that mean that the men working in that career should get less?


We need feminism because without it, we are unjust. Often times, when there are rape cases in the United States involving a man vs. woman, the blame (from society) goes to the female victim. People will argue that it might not have happened if she were wearing longer shorts, they argue that ‘she was asking for it’. How disgusting that rather than teach our citizens not to rape, we are teaching our citizens to carry whistles, to wear longer clothing?


We need feminism because women are kicked out of public places for breastfeeding. We need feminism because when asked to picture a CEO of a company, more people can see a man leading a business than a woman. We need feminism because if America is for the people, then it needs to be for the people, not just half.


The author's comments:
After seeing many inspirational posts on twitter, tumblr, and facebook, I decided to make my own stand.

Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 8 comments.


Kettz said...
on Sep. 6 2016 at 6:03 pm
Kettz,
0 articles 0 photos 4 comments
If feminism equals equality. Then why does it start with a gendered prefix and egalitarianism is gender neutral? Feminists love to leave variables about the wage gap, when considering why there are differences between men and women for pay. The variables that I mean looks something like this: 23 cent gender pay gap = average earnings of ALL men - average earnings of ALL women . This is how the supposed myth came to be. The average of ALL men vs ALL females. This does not take in the account of important details such as: Occupations, Education, Hours Worked Per Week, Position, or Job Tenure. There are people whom say no even when these important factors are 100% controlled there is still a wage gap. But why? A example could be a female worker thats a physician earns less than a male physician. Apparently a real person being threatened by the supposed wage gap. However, if you bring in those variables(reasons why a women could be paid less) women are more likely to earn lower paying jobs. Women are also more likely to take less hours then men by working more part time than full time. In fact women whom do put in full time still put in 7 percent fewer hours then men. The wage gap doesn't even take the account of women leaving work to start a family. I need to propose you a few questions. If there is in fact a wage gap. Wouldn't companies only hire women because they earn less so the company can save money? If Joe is making 10 dollars and Lilly is making 8 dollars and the logic of the wage gap wouldn't the company fire Joe? Just so the company can gain more money? You could also say that men do take more life risking jobs and is nine times more likely to die at their job. In all the wage gap pretty much consists of a women saying she a secretary with 1 year experience earns less money than her male co-worker thats a supervisor with 15 years of experience. Women are oppressed by the choices they make for themselves. This isn't because bleh sexism but a much more complex variables instead of averages. I've never heard of a case end with "Well what you were wearing meant you wanted it" as its last and ending thought. "We need feminism because when asked to picture a CEO of a company, more people can see a man leading a business than a woman" Are you saying a man doesn't deserve his position as a CEO just because he doesn't have a vagina?

on May. 9 2015 at 3:42 pm
RightWingExtremist BRONZE, Riverton, Utah
4 articles 0 photos 40 comments

Favorite Quote:
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
-Ronald Reagan

Exactly, women deserve equal rights and protections under the law, and we Americans are working on it. What we don't need, however, is the adequately named "Feminazism" These people (unfortunately) are what comes to mind when people think of feminism. These are the kind of people who employ the victim mentality that basically means that woman's own bad decisions are not her fault and she's a victim of this "male-dominated culture." I believe rape is never the victims fault, it's always the rapist's fault and these people need to be locked up, and the key thrown away.

on Mar. 16 2015 at 9:44 am
laurenevansok SILVER, Bromborough, Other
6 articles 0 photos 40 comments

Favorite Quote:
'One person's "annoying" is another person's "inspiring and heroic"' - Leslie Knope (Parks and Recreation)

I enjoyed reading this piece very much and it is well written with a clear connotation. Have you seen an american TV show called 'Parks and Recreation'? I would definitely recommend it. You'd attach yourself to the main female character Leslie Knope, she is a feminist and portrays it in such a positive way. Well done on your piece!

on Mar. 4 2015 at 11:50 am
Trevin Miller BRONZE, Defiance, Ohio
3 articles 0 photos 2 comments
Im not saying people should hit others. I'm saying that if a woman does hit a man she should get equal punishment for if a man hits a woman. There were two people with hidden cameras and they hit each other (it was acting but the other people at the park didn't know it). When the man physically abused the woman just about every by stander took action. Women were crowding around and threatening to call the cops. But when the woman physically abused the man nobody cared they just sat there and watched. The problem is that the same reaction should of happened with both cases but nobody cared when the man was getting physically abused only when the woman was.

on Feb. 26 2015 at 7:34 pm
NatalieCarter BRONZE, Norco, California
4 articles 1 photo 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"But I can brush the knots out of your hair and work the knots out of your back when your day becomes too much to bear. I may not be good at many things, but I can be good to you."

Society often puts the blame on rape victims. Instead of teaching the fact that rape is wrong, often times it is asked, "What was he/she wearing?" or told, "he/she was asking for it,". There have been MANY rape cases here in the United States were the rapists have not been jailed. Feminism is not the concept that women should be better than men or get away with more, but rather than women and men are treated equally. Also, people shouldn't be hitting people-men or women. A man should not hit and woman, a woman should not hit a man. I think it should be taught to both girls and boys at a young age that hitting is not okay-no matter if you're a female or male. Domestic violence is not just men abusing women, women are in some cases the abusers too. And the feminist movement is fighting for not only the female victims of rape and violence, but the male as well. Hope this helped, Natalie :)

on Feb. 26 2015 at 9:39 am
Trevin Miller BRONZE, Defiance, Ohio
3 articles 0 photos 2 comments
actually in rape cases with man vs. woman they dont always blame the women. it seems like courts are against men when it comes to something that deals with a man and a woman. take these for example: man hits a man no big deal woman hits a woman no big deal woman hits a man no big deal man hits a women to big of a deal

sabrena99 said...
on Aug. 18 2014 at 12:20 am
such a good article, and very well written!! love u natalie!!

Dlcarter said...
on Jul. 23 2014 at 1:22 am
Wow...great article. We as women do need to push back against the biases and injustices brought upon us, not only here, but worldwide. Great points made in the article.