Texting While Driving Should Be Illegal

Every year thousands of teenagers between the ages of 16-19 die due to texting and cellphone use while driving. According to Newsday.com, about 60% of high school students admitted to texting or cell phone use while driving. Texting while driving has become one of the most common reasons for teen death in the past 2 years. Cellphone use while driving should be illegal and ticked because it causes distraction, car crashes and death.

First, cellphone use causes many deaths throughout the nation. According to Newsday.com, in 2013, statistics show that 3,000 teens died due to texting while driving and 300,000 injuries are reported every year. This habit has exceeded drinking and driving, researchers believe. Death by alcohol has dramatically decreased since 2011, but unfortunately, there has been an increase in texting while driving.

Cell phone use is a huge distraction in the United States. Newsday.com states that “Observational surveys cited by the agency suggested more than 100,000 drivers are texting at any given daylight moment, while more than 600,000 drivers are using handheld phones while operating a car.” Cell phones have become a very large distraction, not just texting, but cell phone use in general. 715 adults between the ages of 30-64 admitted to cell phone use while driving with kids in the car, so they are not just endangering themselves, but endangering others as well. We can not afford any more distractions on the road.

Another result of texting while driving is a higher insurance rate, because when consumers get into an accident, it causes everyone’s insurance to rise. Insurance also increases for damages to streets, guard rails, and buildings. Everyone has to suffer for these thousands of accidents a year.

In conclusion, texting while driving should be illegal because there are way too many deaths due to cell phone use.They are a dangerous distraction to drivers . Drivers already have too many distractions as it is. Hundreds of thousand of kids die every few years due to cell phone use. This is why texting while driving should be illegal.

This article has 1 comment. Post your own!

Midnight5765This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 5 at 10:20 pm:
Your title says it all, it should be illegal for anyone to text while driving. For me, this is when the 10th Amendment falters. In the state of Missouri, after the age of 21 you are legally able to text and drive in that state. You can kill someone by texting and driving at any age, not only teenagers have crashing that leads in death.