"Slow Down, Pete" | Teen Ink

"Slow Down, Pete"

April 29, 2014
By Vincent Jiang SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
Vincent Jiang SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
9 articles 0 photos 0 comments

“‘Slow Down, Pete’” by April Seymour was a powerful, intriguing article about the narrator, “Pete,” and her father. The author tells of her father’s struggles as he gets older. She reminisces the days when her father was much more fit and healthy, easily climbing mountains with the narrator behind him. She regrets losing these times, and wishes that her father is not so lethargic today because of arthritis, which is uniquely portrayed as a monster in the memoir. This piece changed my views on life and will make me cherish my youth.

“Slow Down, Pete” was filled with wonderful lines and descriptions. The reflection life’s experiences intrigued me and made me wonder. Powerful phrases litter the piece, such as “His day starts at 6 p.m.,” shocked me and made me feel sad and surprised for the narrator’s father, whose schedule is so different from most people. Wonderful imagery painted the scenes, such as the delicate “wild flower sun” that made the memories seem much more tender and sweet.

This beautifully crafted article made me think about my own life after reading it. Like the author, April, I also heard warnings of the sorrows of life. I forgot the advice, however, and focused on the joyful moments of today. The narrator helped open my eyes to the sadness that is not felt until people are older. This caused me to cherish the recollections of childhood.

Although not perfect, this magnificent piece would be a valuable memoir for me, like April’s memories of her glorious father climbing the tough mountain.