Untouchable | Teen Ink

Untouchable

By Groocho SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
Groocho SILVER, Brooklyn, New York

Katie Stanley-Paul’s “Untouchable” immediately draws in readers with its distinctive phrasing and writing style. Within a few paragraphs, Katie expresses the action between the final steps of race and the moment of crossing the finish line, delving into the difficulty, but value of completing such a feat.

Katie’s article accurately depicts the tension in a battle of running. She describes the physical strain of a race, such as the “aching legs, tired lungs,” but also the mental burden. She states that one needs to “build a wall so high nobody can see, hear, or touch you,” so that you are focused, the only one in the spotlight of your mind. But even with the exhaustion that comes with confronting such a deed, she believes the moment of crossing the finish line is “worth it,” for in the ultimate paces she takes, she is “floating…numb everywhere but her heart.” Her spirit burns strong in the face of adversary, and in the end, the gratification of persevering is an ample reward.

Katie’s piece can be interpreted as a representation of most hardships in life: it may feel that “hands are clawing at [your] ankles, trying to pull [you] back,” but in the end, when the oppression is defeated, the worth of persevering truly comes to light. Life may seem to be an overwhelming force that is challenging to face, but one can always stand firm and “live for the moment when [he or she] is untouchable,” when confidence once again courses through a person’s veins.

Thank you, Katie, for reminding me that even the most difficult of problems are not impossible to resolve, and that it is worth it to continue on even when giving up is the easy way out.

Groocho SILVER said...
on Aug. 14 2014 at 12:06 pm
Groocho SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
No problem! It was a wonderful piece, so once again, thank you for sharing it!

on Aug. 13 2014 at 9:44 pm
KKStanley-Paul BRONZE, Toronto, Other

Everything has beauty, but not everyone can see it.

Thanks for having such great things to say about my piece :) I appreciate it I'm glad you liked it!