Beauty Within | Teen Ink

Beauty Within

By karenc GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
karenc GOLD, Brooklyn, New York

An arrow can be shot only by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means that it’s going to launch you into something great. So just take a deep breath and keep aiming.

I felt the story Kristin Hopkins told and the advice she gives in “Beauty Within” was truly inspiring and eye-opening to me. I would like to applaud Hopkins for having the courage in telling her experience of being called “ugly” and in telling the words many are often afraid to say.

I found multiple lines incredibly accurate. One example is “Being called ugly by my little brother didn’t get under my skin, but I had never had a stranger tell me that.” I could relate to how Hopkins explains that one insult, even minor, could change the complete way you see yourself. I was devastated when I pictured Hopkins feeling ashamed of having people see her face that she’d try to hide it. I wish I could instill confidence in Hopkins, and break her insecurity. I want her to know I understand the great impact of the event, and moving on is the best way to go.

I especially liked the line, “I wish that we would all just accept how we look and spend the rest of our lives improving our personalities instead of perfecting our skin tone,” but I would like Hopkins to see that there are people who don’t focus on outer but rather inner beauty. I really appreciate Hopkins’ sharing of this beautifully composed piece.