"The Fight" Response | Teen Ink

"The Fight" Response

February 18, 2014
By Anonymous

The author expresses his or her feelings of loneliness due to an introverted personality. The article describes the need to have real friends that genuinely care, not just people that are willing to pretend to enjoy someone's company.

I know exactly what it is like to be "that person". I am familiar with the feeling of wanting to say something, yet being too shy to do it. I transferred to a new school in sixth grade. I never felt more unwelcome in my life than during the first year and a half that I was there. I spent practically every moment of the day with no one to talk to. I thought that I would never make any friends, but as I started having classes with new people, I got to know them better. Today I have a small group of friends that I know care about me and I wouldn't want it any other way. They accept me for who I am and would never want to change my personality. Getting through that time in my life was difficult, but I eventually got sick of remaining silent and introduced myself to the friends that I know and love today. It is important to remember that there will almost always be people that share your interests, but you will not get to meet them unless you take the first step and say something. Taking that chance may be challenging, but finding valuable friends is worth the risk.