A Tiger Mother's Slumber This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

In her article “A Tiger Mother's Slumber,” Chang Min Hahn writes about how her mother, as well as Chang's views of her, changed over time. She describes her mother – once a strong and impossibly strict women – falling into a depression as a result of cancer and the departure of her husband, and how she not only recovered, but also allowed her daughter to see her in a different light.

I truly love this article for several reasons. First, it is incredibly relatable, because many children (not only Asian), myself included, have strict parents with high expectations. All the same, parents are people and need to show their vulnerability sometimes. I believe that many children find it incredibly strange to see their parents cry or act sad. Furthermore, the article also dismantles the racial construct of the “evil tiger mother” by depicting Chang's mother as a respectable, strong women who is also capable of weakness. This is important, since this stereotype of Asian mothers is incredibly prevalent and harmful.