Double Standards | Teen Ink

Double Standards

By Vincent Jiang SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
Vincent Jiang SILVER, Brooklyn, New York

The article “Double Standards” by Emma Montgomery reveals the stereotypes of females in today’s society. She states that females are considered the weaker part of the community. They are thought of as weak and innocent by the general population. These clichés are shown in life and in media, such as on popular shows. Emma wants a future where women are able to be equal, both economically and socially.

I agree with Emma’s point of view. Women, as well as men, should be free from stereotypes and prejudiced ideas that would restrict them. For example, as stated in the article, women would be ridiculed for fighting another female, but two men would not be disgraced in the same scenario. Similarly, men cannot act weak or shy without being laughed at. This is unfair for both genders, since they both must morph into society’s molds. I also agree that the way to solve this problem would be to portray popular characters on television that are the opposite of today’s stereotypes. This would eventually lead to people, especially children and teenagers, becoming more comfortable with two aspects of genders. I also believe that this idea could be extended to other places, such as books, which can contain a strong female character or other out-of-the-ordinary person. Celebrities can also support this idea, since many people follow these famous individuals.

Although I agree with most of Emma Montgomery’s ideas, I do not believe that most teenagers try to become the quiet, naïve girl. Many females strive to be powerful, independent women. Furthermore, the stereotype can become an idea that many individuals try to avoid, resulting in unique personalities that are not within the “defenseless girl” or” jock boy” label.

Emma Montgomery revealed a very important subject in society through her article “Double Standards.” Luckily, this problem can be fixed, and clichéd ideas can be erased from this generation and the future’s society.