Feedback on "Emmalee" | Teen Ink

Feedback on "Emmalee"

January 17, 2014
By Gabi Newman SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
Gabi Newman SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

"Emmalee" by Averi Black was an eye opening piece about the author's sister, who has a condition known as polymicrogyria. As explained in the article, PMG is a condition characterized by the possession of wrinkles in the brain. As a result of this, Emmalee is different from other children her age and is often stared at and treated disrespectfully by others. In the article, the author describes a particular incident in which a young girl's mother was rude to Emmalee, calling her "sick" and telling her daughter not to touch her.

I found this piece to be incredibly fascinating, as well as saddening, because it helped me to better understand how family members cope with child or sibling having a developmental disorder, and what they go through trying to protect that person from rudeness and ignorance. The author speaks about how their sister is incredibly smart,- far more intelligent than doctors thought she ought to be- and how they love her unconditionally despite any condition she may have. As my mother works with disabled children, I've had the opportunity to interact with many of them, and I thought it was really inspiring to see how much the author cared and supported their younger sister.