Feedback on "Emmalee" | Teen Ink

Feedback on "Emmalee"

By Gabi Newman SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
Gabi Newman SILVER, Brooklyn, New York

"Emmalee" by Averi Black was an eye opening piece about the author's sister, who has a condition known as polymicrogyria. As explained in the article, PMG is a condition characterized by the possession of wrinkles in the brain. As a result of this, Emmalee is different from other children her age and is often stared at and treated disrespectfully by others. In the article, the author describes a particular incident in which a young girl's mother was rude to Emmalee, calling her "sick" and telling her daughter not to touch her.

I found this piece to be incredibly fascinating, as well as saddening, because it helped me to better understand how family members cope with child or sibling having a developmental disorder, and what they go through trying to protect that person from rudeness and ignorance. The author speaks about how their sister is incredibly smart,- far more intelligent than doctors thought she ought to be- and how they love her unconditionally despite any condition she may have. As my mother works with disabled children, I've had the opportunity to interact with many of them, and I thought it was really inspiring to see how much the author cared and supported their younger sister.