I Don't Churn Butter | Teen Ink

I Don't Churn Butter

By ohk0321 GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
ohk0321 GOLD, Brooklyn, New York

"I Don't Churn Butter" by Hannah Scherer focuses on stereotypes and prejudice. In this essay, Hannah explains that she doesn't do much of the things that Minnesotans are stereotyped to do. She says, "I do not say my O's as if I'm from Saskatchewan. I know more interjections than 'Uffda!' and 'Don'tcha know.' I do not live off of casserole and lutefisk, and no, I do not know Prince." This shows what people believe Minnesotans are like without knowing the truth.

Hanna continues to say she does take part in some stereotypical winter activities, but also does things that everyone else does. She explains that the media is one reason why there are stereotypes of Minnesotan life. In her essay, Hannah says, "Most representations of Minnesotans on TV and in movies use the typical stereotypes. They give a limited view into Minnesotan life, focusing on just one part of our large state." This shows that people judge others by what they see and hear, not by what they know.

Stereotypes and prejudice are a big issue now. Everyone is judged, and everyone judges without any prior knowledge. Hannah explains people should learn more about Minnesota and what the citizens are actually like instead of what they're thought to be. Stereotyping occurs in all parts of the world. We need to learn more about what or who we are judging before we judge.