The Notebook This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I found “The Notebook” by Michael J. to have many qualities. Hilarity, for one – it offered a much-needed laugh on a day I wasn’t feeling well – and it was well written. Most of all, I found it ironic; men aren’t as tough or unfeeling as they try to appear, and today, they don’t have to be. I feel this is obvious. In fact, it seems as though everyone has learned this by now – except males themselves.

For ages, many boys have felt that they could not enjoy romance, appreciate art, or even so much as cry. Yet, this “expression of manliness” is almost obsolete in society today. Being cold and unfeeling won’t necessarily get you the girl; in fact, it’s likely that will only make them dislike you. Masculinity today is different from what it was 10 or 20 years ago, and while some may have picked up on this, others haven’t.