Life as a Game This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I’m a chess lover. Though I have no doubt the newest beginner could beat me, it’s not how often I win, it’s the principle of the game that I love. I had never really thought about it before until I read “Life as a Game” by Drew M., but life is indeed like a chess game: tactics are of the essence, and reacting and adapting to an outcome is necessary in life as well as chess. Things don’t always go our way, but we have to know how to adapt.

This article has a number of ideas found in The 7 Habits of Highly, Effective People by Stephen R. Covey, (and other similar books) but it brings a fresh perspective that teens can relate to. It’s hard to understand someone who is spouting about your circle of influence and prioritizing, but relating something to chess is a great way to help others understand. Not only is this a somewhat philosophical piece, but it is tied to Drew’s personal experience, making the ideas clearer to teens, and more relatable.