Tough Love | Teen Ink

Tough Love MAG

December 30, 2013
By MonicaJanvier PLATINUM, Brooklyn, New York
MonicaJanvier PLATINUM, Brooklyn, New York
23 articles 0 photos 1 comment

“Tough Love” is a heart-wrenching and well-written piece. Julia’s experience changed my view on society today. Her shocking story of being 15 and pregnant struck me deeply and opened my eyes as it left me with unending tears.

I was unsympathetic at first. I forced myself to believe that Julia was just a silly, irresponsible teen, but then I read her side of the story. She made a mistake, just like everyone does from time to time, and she learned from it.

She needed someone to help her through this difficult time. I can’t imagine how she must have felt with all the stares and whispers. Her boyfriend broke up with her when she was five months pregnant, and her step-mom abused her physically and mentally. “Every night I drowned myself in an ocean of tears,” she wrote.

Julia then realized that she wouldn’t be able to support her baby. She decided to give her up for adoption, despite fears that when her daughter grew up she would think that Julia had never cared about her. The words Julia uses to describe her fear, pain, and loneliness made me feel a personal connection. My story might not be as heartbreaking as hers, but I can understand her.

This piece made me more aware of the real struggles of teens today. Teenage pregnancy is a major issue. The feeling of giving away a child is unimaginable; it took strength and maturity for ­Julia to make this decision. I’ve realized that young women who face this are not all silly and irresponsible. I’m so sorry Julia had to go through this experience, and I thank her for sharing her story with us.