Writing Like Kerouac | Teen Ink

Writing Like Kerouac

By Gabi Newman SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
Gabi Newman SILVER, Brooklyn, New York

I consider myself to be, by most standards, a writer. Due to this, I am able to greatly relate to Catherine Fisher, the author of article (and college essay), "Writing Like Kerouac". In the article, Fisher speaks of her past desire to write in a style similar to that of the author Jack Kerouac. Finding that her writing was too linear and logical to emulate Kerouac's long and flowing writing style, Fisher became discouraged and disappointed with her own abilities. It is only later that Fisher truly learned that it's not possible to copy the writing style of another, though certain elements may be "borrowed", per se.
I have had a similar issue in the past, in which I envied the writing style of another and became frustrated when I was not able to change my writing to fit another's standards. It was only recently that it dawned upon me that it simply isn't possible to copy someone else's writing style, since a manner of writing is unique to the writer who possesses it. It has now become evident to me that my talents have never lied in short, curt sentences, nor in flowery and poetic descriptions. Your writing style is what it is, and though there's always room for improvement, you can never truly copy some else's.