Words and Numbers | Teen Ink

Words and Numbers

I disagree with Ali Schindler in her article, Words and Numbers; she argues that words are more meaningful than numbers. A fairly logical argument, for people rarely assign meaning to numbers but that alone doesn't mean they are meaningless. Numbers play an active and sometimes latent role in our world ranging from how many eggs to use in a cake to the construction of medicine and buildings. Although the average person won’t be utilizing calculus in their everyday life, this doesn't make it meaningless. Schindler argues that numbers limit imagination and ”are the padded walls of an insane asylum”, so maybe I’m crazy but numbers provide clarity in life, it provides explanation to otherwise unexplainable events which words can hardly explain. Numbers are meaningless without words and words are meaningless without numbers. Numbers and words exist in an equilibrium since words let you explore the vastness of your imagination and numbers keep you from being lost in your own imagination. Numbers are reality.
I would like to thank Schindler for providing an opportunity where I could easily express my opinion.