Strength to Be Kind | Teen Ink

Strength to Be Kind

October 18, 2013
By Gabi Newman SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
Gabi Newman SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

As someone highly fascinated by psychology, I find myself wholeheartedly sympathizing with "Simon", the author of the article, "Strength to Be Kind". In his article, Simon speaks of his schizophrenic grandmother, Sadie Ellen, and how he'd become more educated on the topic of mental illness, as well as how he'd learned to look past her illness, in the time following her death.
The misunderstanding of mental disorders is a prevalent issue in our society, though it's one that tends to be overlooked or denied altogether. In fact, the issue has gotten so severe that it is now acceptable to describe someone moody as "bipolar" or label someone who values cleanliness with OCD. Most, like Simon towards the beginning of his article, definitely do not know how to react in the presence of someone who is mentally disturbed, as they actually know little to nothing of the subject, and instead react with fear towards what is strange or unknown to them. What they don't seem to acknowledge, however, is that those with mental disorders once had, or may still live functional lives within our society.

It seems that the only way to remedy this issue would be to educate people on mental disorders. After all, Simon's opinion of Sadie Ellen greatly changed after he learned more about schizophrenia and other mental illnesses. He know longer saw her as his odd, delusional grandmother, but as a strong woman, who faced far more hardship than he perhaps ever will. In this change in opinion lies the true lesson to be taken from the article: that those with mental disorders are not to be feared and isolated, but to be supported as brave individuals capable of overcoming great obstacles.