Twelve Years Old | Teen Ink

Twelve Years Old

October 17, 2013
By Hoolia SILVER, New York City, New York
Hoolia SILVER, New York City, New York
9 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Rosie’s Twelve Years Old, depicts of how the youngsters are new to everything and make them feel completely invincible. Rosie explains how the character remembers how he/she saved him/herself by making the decision of whether to save a life or help him kill himself. At the age of twelve, everyone is trying to figure who they truly are and discovering themselves. Before, everything was just textbooks and sharpened pencils, as mentioned in the poem- but the narrator was confused and couldn’t understand yet. This left them empty and emotionless except for the cracks of anger and hatred. Despite the rather harsh topic, the narrator explains everything that they feel at the age of twelve- clueless and yet determined to find out who they were meant to be, which I felt was exactly how I felt when I surpassed that age. Rosie then goes on to explaining another idea –one must help oneself, “…because I knew that in the end the only person you can truly save is yourself…” The narrator, in this case, ran away, slammed the door, and tried to become someone while they were still nobody.