India's Battle of the Sexes This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

“India's Battle of the Sexes” by Shagun Taparia struck me deeply. It opened my eyes to the struggle of girls on the other side of the world. I was disgusted by the true story of the young woman who was gang raped and left to die. The way this event was described in the article made me feel a personal connection to the tragedy. It is very disturbing to me that in 2013 women need to be fearful every time they leave the house alone in India.

Many of my male peers have claimed that sexism no longer exists. This article is a reminder of why feminism is still necessary.

Living in a large city, I can relate to ­Shagun's feelings that she is not always safe walking alone. In my opinion, no woman anywhere in the world should ever be afraid of men. We should have as much right to make it home safely as men do. It is a harsh reality that girls and women cannot always wear what they want for fear that they will attract attention and consequently danger.

This article touched my heart and left me with lingering feelings of sadness and anger, as well as optimism. Thank you, ­Shagun, for educating me about this young woman's tragedy, and your situation as a young woman in India.

This article has 1 comment. Post your own!

ShagunThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
today at 4:20 am:
thank you. thank you thank you for reading my article !!! it seems like you are one of the few people who actually understood what it was about. I was not breating my nation, but saying that feminism should not be a thing of the past.  I write to make a difference, even if in just one pair of eyes. Thank you again