Thoughts on Poetry

One of my favorite parts in Teen Ink is the poetry section. In the May issue, there was feedback by Giselle saying how she thought poetry should be evenly distributed throughout the magazine. However, I disagree. I feel as if there are already a number of poems in the margins in certain sections in which they fit. Otherwise, they are placed at the end of the magazine. I read Teen Ink from front cover to back cover, and I can always look forward to the poetry at the end. It is similar to eating a meal, and instead of ending it off with desert, I get poetry.

However, I feel as if the poetry section doesn’t get enough recognition. Some people think that poetry is rhyming words to form complicated visions of figurative language, but it is more than that. Teenagers put in their own experiences to create vivid situations that always catch my eye. No matter how many lines or stanzas, each published poem tells a story. I feel as if there is rarely feedback on these works. Perhaps they aren’t the main articles, but they are still pieces of writing. I feel as if people should appreciate them more and write their own interpretation of the poem. Writing is open for all to perceive.

I hope more readers will create feedback on poems, not only to be published, but to compliment the author. With nine pages in the section, it is easy to find at least one piece that speaks to you. I know that I have submitted a few pieces of feedback on poetry that got a number of views but were never published. I believe that feedback on these works will boost confidence in the authors and encourage them to write more. After all, poetry is desert, and the most you can do is credit the chef.