How Do I Get Published? This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

In the course of using the Teen Ink website, I have submitted what I think are some really great pieces. Yet whenever I feel like I have written “the one,” all I get is an e-mail saying my work has been published on the website. Nothing more, nothing less.

So what do you guys want? Length, depth? Whatever you want, I'm willing to do it, if it means having the honor of seeing my work in the magazine. What do you guys look for in a piece? I believe I have given detail, originality, etc. Getting published has been the hardest thing that I have tried to do ever since I made an account on your site, thinking that my work was good.

Piece after piece, I try to work harder and harder, but all I get is rejection. Getting number-one voted doesn't matter to me anymore because the opinion that I want the most is yours. And after all these pieces I'm getting nothing, no feedback, no acknowledgments. What should I do?

Editor's response: There is no one “right” way to craft a good submission. We receive over 150,000 submissions each year, so we have a lot of great writing to choose from.

Everything submitted through our website is considered for publication in the magazine, but unfortunately we can't publish every piece that we think has merit. The best submissions are written from the heart, original, and about something other teens will relate to. But within those criteria, there is a lot of room for subjectivity. Your best bet to be published is to pick an unusual topic, then use concrete, vivid language to get your point across. We love specificity, strong verbs, and thoughtful, unusual imagery.

Also, keep in mind that even though it looks like we publish a lot of poetry in each issue, we receive almost 60,000 poems each year, making it by far the most difficult section to see your work in print.

Don't lose hope, Ellie. You never know when your time will come!

GG_LeBode said...
today at 8:24 pm:
I love this. It's got great voice. The feeling of frustration over this type of "small fish big ocean" judgement is very relatable, I'm sure especially in the Teen Ink audience. I appreciate the irony that it was this piece that was published. Luck to you! 

feathertailThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Oct. 10 at 11:04 am:
Awesome! You finally got published! Good for you! P.S. Can you tell where to find some of your other articles? After this I'd like to read the :)

_firaffe_This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Oct. 10 at 6:19 pm :
Just on my page :) thanks so much btw :)

LillyZ83This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Oct. 4 at 11:00 am:
Congratulations on finally getting published! I know what it's like to write something you think is something special enough to get published and it's not. I'm glad to see one of us had the courage to write what most of us feel... congrats again and keep up the good work :)

theblondechickThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Oct. 3 at 12:09 am:
The irony. Love it!

Lisas.SmileThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Oct. 2 at 11:53 am:
Please don;t tell me I'm the only one who founf the fact this was the article you wrote which got published.... :)   Felt the same thing so many times....I got a tick once thought.

Lisas.SmileThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Oct. 2 at 11:54 am :
TYPOS!!! I hate you, stop ruining everything I write

ExtraterrestrialThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Oct. 2 at 10:13 am:
And there's your acknowledgement! Well done!