Roger Ebert | Teen Ink

Roger Ebert MAG

By FernandoAtTheMovies PLATINUM, San Diego, California
FernandoAtTheMovies PLATINUM, San Diego, California

Recently we didn't just lose a film critic, we lost a legend. We lost someone who inspired us. Roger Ebert, easily one of the best critics ever, died after his battle against cancer. He was 70 years old.

If you guys don't know who he is, Roger Ebert was, and still is, one of the most inspirational film critics in history. He wasn't just a critic, he was THE film critic. He is most famous for the invention of the Thumbs Up/Thumbs Down rating.

I am writing this letter because he is an inspiration to me. This was one of the guys who made me become what I am today: a movie critic. Every time I wrote a review, I would look at one of his to get a sense of what to talk about. I would think, “What would Ebert do?”

The main reason he was one of my ­inspirations was his passion for movies. He didn't just talk about movies or review them. Roger Ebert BREATHED movies. So, it made me feel that discussing movies was okay. It was always fun watching him because he had passion which inspired me to put passion into my reviews, whether good or bad. Because, as Ebert showed us, if you love movies, show it. Never do a ­review that doesn't have passion.
So here's to you, Roger Ebert. Roger Ebert is not only Awesometacular, but he deserves TWO THUMBS UP.

The main reason why he was one of my inspirations was his passion for movies. He didn't just talk about movies or he reviewed about movies. Roger Ebert BREATHED about movies. So, obviously, it made me feel that talking about movies was okay to talk about. He is also the reason why I am a film critic. He made me into the guy that I am today.

on May. 22 2013 at 1:09 am
officekid PLATINUM, Encinitas, California

“You must be filled with expectancy. You must be awash in hope. You must wonder who will love you, whom you will love next.”
― Kate DiCamillo, The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane

I completely agree. I'm so glad to see someone with a passion for movies like me, film is incredible. Despite my poking fun at Safe Haven, movies are wonderful. Thank you for writing about Mr. Ebert

Propheteer GOLD, Sudbury, Other

“The only thing that I see that is distinctly different about me is I'm not afraid to die on a treadmill. I will not be out-worked, period. You might have more talent than me, you might be smarter than me, you might be sexier than me, you might be all of those things you got it on me in nine categories. But if we get on the treadmill together, there's two things: You're getting off first, or I'm going to die. It's really that simple, right?
You're not going to out-work me. It's such a simple, basic concept. The guy who is willing to hustle the most is going to be the guy that just gets that loose ball. The majority of people who aren't getting the places they want or aren't achieving the things that they want in this business is strictly based on hustle. It's strictly based on being out-worked; it's strictly based on missing crucial opportunities. I say all the time if you stay ready, you ain't gotta get ready.”

― Will Smith

I completely agree. Great job.