You Are a Writer If... | Teen Ink

You Are a Writer If...

By WinkieM SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
WinkieM SILVER, Brooklyn, New York

“You Are a Writer If…,” by Claire, is a captivating list of the different aspects in a writer’s life. It covers a wide variety of random topics, from using strange synonyms to sniffing the pages of a new book. The story is relatable and has a touch of humor laced into it, making it an unforgettable piece.

The author’s comedic tone keeps the reader entertained throughout the story. The points are quite disorganized, yet in the end, they all connect. Each and every one of them brings about a chuckle from the reader, such as, “You believe writer’s block should be classified as a terminal illness,” or, “You get high from the smell of fresh paper.” The list is even more amusing when we come to the realization that the examples are indeed accurate, no matter how preposterous they seem.

The whole story is highly relevant to our own lives. As a writer, I found myself smiling fondly at the published piece. The truth lay beneath the examples. Yes, I DO occasionally pick up a dictionary or a thesaurus. I AM a major critique on old journals of mine. Life experiences ARE sometimes recorded in third-person in my head. “Absurd” is too broad of a word to even describe this; however, becoming a writer is also learning to accept and embrace these oddities.

“You Are a Writer If…” can be connected personally on a myriad of levels. Whenever I am unclear of the things that make me who I am, I can easily pick up this list. Thank you, Claire, for clearly defining the perks of being a writer.