A Guide to Eating Your Feelings | Teen Ink

A Guide to Eating Your Feelings

February 9, 2013
By MichelleW SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
MichelleW SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
7 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Kyle T's “A Guide to Eating Your Feelings” caught my attention the moment I laid eyes on it. Such a creative and intriguing title was joined with a humorous article about something that many teens face in their adolescence: being depressed and then attempting to eat their way out of it.

In this article, Kyle describes his adventures with his friend, Ian, exploring only the junk food portion of the food pyramid due to the fact that they’re, well, miserable. “A Guide to Eating Your Feelings” acts as a guidebook for those who want to fully enjoy their wallowing with the most delicious, and unhealthy, foods known to mankind. From ice cream to Italian food, Kyle goes through it all, giving tips and suggestions for how to prepare certain foods and which brands to eat, making sure to include cooking instructions for both the lazy and the (somewhat) more active. In simpler terms, it’s a book that tries to make you feel better by letting you indulge in foods that you normally wouldn’t eat too much of in order to maintain a figure.

I have a few friends who have been in similar situations, devouring gallons of ice cream or littering their bedroom floor with cookie wrappers after hitting rock bottom, whether it was over a relationship or a devastating event. This article captured me for that very reason. I’ve always seen teens who eat like there’s no tomorrow, only to regret their decision later on. Consequently, this leads to more depression, which causes some teens to resort to consuming more. It’s a horrible cycle that may continue for a long duration of time, no matter what persuasive matters are taken.

Kyle’s first-person point of view article is just what teens need in a time like this. His conversational tone gives the impression that he’s actually one of those persuading friends, who tries to use a hilarious “guide” in order to establish a connection with the teen. It’s as if he’s saying, ‘Your life sucks? Well, mine isn’t so great either. Let’s eat it out while we watch “The Devil Wears Prada.’

On behalf of all the teens who may have momentarily lost hope or have felt the impact of being heartbroken, I thank you for writing something that expresses what’s on their minds in a way that can get them to smile.