Lovestruck | Teen Ink

Lovestruck

By SammyI99 GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
SammyI99 GOLD, Brooklyn, New York

"If you don't go after what you want, you could spend your entire life settling for what you can get." --Mo Stegall

I am both fascinated and upset after reading Hewson J's “Lovestruck”. A sweet and sad story filled with elements of romance and rejection, it reflects his experience with a girl he thought he had fallen in love with at first sight. He spends most of the time during his volunteering event trying to muster up the courage to talk to her and ends up engaging in a long conversation with her. However, Hewson is disappointed at the end of his story, because the amazing, beautiful girl he met stood him up for a date, leaving him to wait for her until he understood that she didn’t want to be in a relationship with him.
Hewson’s experience saddens me, because I feel his passionate, optimistic personality being crushed by rejection. He even dreamt of a nice future with this girl, which shocked me as well as made my heart melt. I am also fascinated by Hewson’s account in the way that he is gentle and descriptive with his words, and very discreet when he gets his heart broken. It was upsetting to me that Hewson caught a bad case of Lovesick fever, and can become dreary from rejection.
Overall, “Lovestruck” was an intriguing account of a crush and heart break through a boy’s perspective. It was certainly a different take on heartbreak than the ones written by girls, and I enjoyed it very much although it has a distressing ending. He definitely captured my heart as a reader and I wish him luck with love in the future.