Aunty Ice Bean | Teen Ink

Aunty Ice Bean MAG

By poiuytrewq12345 BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York City, New York
poiuytrewq12345 BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York City, New York

The Travel and Culture piece, “Aunty Icy Bean” by Merilyn Chen, touched me. Chen’s story about her aunt, whom she loved, and was diagnosed with cancer, stood out to me. When she stated, “why does God take away so many good people at such a young age,” I felt understood, finally realizing that I wasn’t alone in my feelings.

As a child, my best friend was diagnosed with cancer. She was, undeniably, a wonderful, loving person. I was so confused when bone cancer took her away, wondering why she was the one to die. It didn’t seem right. Eight years isn’t long enough. Shortly after her passing, I spent my ­Sundays in church, a child praying, slowly losing faith in the God I had worshipped.

Sometimes I would stop, and I still do, look at the sky, and wonder. Wondering why God only let her walk on earth for such a short time. The only conclusion I came up with was that He meant her life as a gift. I wasn’t unlucky because I had lost her. I was lucky because I had spent that time with her.

So, Merilyn, when I read your final lines, I found that our situations were very much alike. I tell you, and others who might relate, that you need to treasure those memories. Don’t look back on them with sadness, but instead, remember that their time here was a gift, and God has blessed you with the memories you were able to make with them.