Pursuing the Mexican Dream | Teen Ink

Pursuing the Mexican Dream MAG

By MateoMansillaMoya GOLD, Reynosa, Other
MateoMansillaMoya GOLD, Reynosa, Other

Minds are like parachutes. They only function when they are open.

I want to thank “Tania” for writing in ­response to my article, “Pursuing the Mexican Dream,” even though I don't think she understood some of my points.
“Tania” found my article “unsettling” ­because I mentioned that my mom had been mistreated by the immigration authorities who detained her. “It seems to me that they did their job,” she says. In my article I said that “[the immigration authorities] questioned and threatened [my mom] for four hours.” I don't think that threatening her for four hours was part of their job. She explained to them what had happened even though they already knew. Why would they threaten her? She was not trying to do anything wrong, or anything bad to anyone.
“Tania” also “feel[s] that America is not at fault here.” I do agree with her on that. I never said it had been America's fault but rather it was the school district's fault. They were the ones who told us that we did not need Student VISAs to attend their school.
Again, I want to thank her for giving her opinion on my article and for wishing me good luck in achieving the Mexican Dream.