Why An Oreo? Feedback | Teen Ink

Why An Oreo? Feedback

By CW239 SILVER, New York, New York
CW239 SILVER, New York, New York

"All your hard work will prove worthless unless you believe in your self," - Might Guy, Naruto vol. 11

The article Why an Oreo? by Devonn was one that gives me a little hope for our society’s take on race. In my school, there aren’t nearly as many African-Americans as Asians and Caucasians. Despite that, in my Science class, I’m surrounded by three of them. When I first got into eighth grade, I actively loathed them for never doing their work and always talking during class. During group projects, I got stuck doing the most work often. Once, the kid directly in front of me said, “Let the white kid do it,” when confronted with a project. After a few months, I got to know the kid next to me, Jahquan, and we became friends. I was glad to have a friend like him, but felt at times that he would seem pressured to act a specific way because of his race, similar to Devonn. I’ve even been given the same treatment concerning gender, as I don’t act brutish and make sex jokes as many boys my age do. I was even assumed to be smarter than the kids around me by those same kids because I’m Caucasian. I can understand making assumptions about people because of their race (we’ve all done it a little, whether we’re racist or not), but commanding that that person fit into a specific stereotype is ridiculous. It’s even worse when people do it to themselves. Many Chinese and Korean kids at my school don’t come from strict households, yet complain about missing two or three questions on a test “because I’m Asian.” But by far the worst thing about this epidemic is that it’s not considered racism. Without any sort of horrific label on a problem, society will generally ignore it. It’s time we follow Ritchie’s path and realize that this kind of profiling should be done away with.