Feedback on "Pursuing the Mexican Dream"

“Pursuing the Mexican Dream” is a piece in the January issue. It is the story of a child whose family were unconsciously illegal immigrants from Mexico. After a year, they were forced to return to Mexico. In the end, the narrator decides that this is for the best. I greatly enjoyed this piece, because it was emotional, but didn’t go into unnecessary detail about the family’s experience.

The ending of “Pursuing the Mexican Dream” surprised me. Since so many Mexicans are desperate to immigrate to the United States, I assumed that Mexico was a terrible country to live in. I can’t say anything for sure since I’ve never been to Mexico, but it seems to me that Americans look down on this country more than we should. And even if the country suffers from extreme poverty, this doesn’t give us the right to create prejudices about its people. This unique story made me more confident about the opinion I had already formed: Americans are wrong in thinking that “Mexican” is a synonym for “dirty”. Intelligence, success, and hope exist in every country.

This article has 1 comment. Post your own!

MateoMansilla This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:44 pm:
Great feedback! I appreciate your point of view on my article! Thank you, saludos desde Mexico! C: