A Box of Gratitude This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

“A Box of Gratitude” by Maddy Baer is a sentimental piece that reminded me that the world isn't sunshine and flowers for everyone. Too often we are so wrapped up in our own day-to-day drama (class, friends, and silly arguments) that we overlook the fact that there are many people in this world who aren't blessed with all that we take for granted.

This became even more apparent with the arrival of Tropical Storm Sandy. Sandy devastated the East Coast, flooding and destroying homes, buildings, and public areas. Following a natural disaster like this, it is even more important to help those who have lost everything.

After Sandy hit, my family and I made several dozen sandwiches and hot meals and brought them to one of the affected neighborhoods. It was nice to know that we helped our neighbors when they needed it most. With the season of giving just passed, let's follow Maddy's example and make an effort to donate to charity. Every penny helps.