Captive Killer Whales | Teen Ink

Captive Killer Whales

By Aleks SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
Aleks SILVER, Brooklyn, New York

"Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who dream only at night." -Edgar Allan Poe

"Captive Killer Whales" by Melissa S, from Teen Ink's December issue, is an article that speaks the unfortunate truth about orcas in captivity. I thought it was a very powerful piece. It was quite an opinionated piece, but still presented pure fact on the matter.

I agree completely with Melissa. It's very unfair and tragic about how killer hhales (orcas) are being kidnapped from their natural habitats to be forced into putting on performances in parks. It's absolutely disgusting how the workers in facilities such as SeaWorld are ignorant to the amount of harm they're causing to the animal. Then, after an orca strikes out against a trainer, it's regarded as the orca's fault by most. What's even more melancholious is the amount of people aware, or rather the lack of people aware. If more realized what's going on, and refused to go to shows featuring wildlife in captivity, numbers would significantly decrease and animals such as orcas might be released.