Prayer Ought To Be in Schools | Teen Ink

Prayer Ought To Be in Schools MAG

By Ellieblah SILVER, Oak Bluffs Massachusetts, Massachusetts
Ellieblah SILVER, Oak Bluffs Massachusetts, Massachusetts

Before I begin, I'd like to say that I am a United Methodist Christian. Not a only-go-to-church-on-Christmas-and-Easter Christian (no offense), but a pretty dedicated one.

Today, I was sitting in my local library reading Teen Ink when I came across “Prayer Ought to Be in Schools” by Lexi Shorey. Lexi is a great writer and very persuasive, but I was amazed when I read her opinion piece stating where she stands on the issue of prayer in schools. She believes that children need prayer in our schools.

Lexi writes, “That year [1962] was one of tragedy, opposition, and downfall for young people in America. That year the Supreme Court prohibited prayer in schools.” I totally disagree. As a young person, I see a lot of change in the world around me – a lot of different people, different opinions, different styles, different everything. And especially different religions.

In my opinion, children in public schools should never be told to pray or be taught from the Bible. Yes, I know our founding fathers were Christians, but wake up, kiddo! Welcome to the 21st century, where not everyone believes in God and not everybody is a Christian.

In fact, I found an article in the November issue of Teen Ink, where the author, ­Natalie Madurski, states her views on not believing in God or getting married. I was surprised to find that on some points, I kind of agree with her. (Don't get ahead of yourself reader.) In “My Belief System,” she writes about how praying and having a religion are actually very helpful because they give you guidelines. I have friends who are atheists and are some of the happiest, most independent people I know.

I believe that we should not have prayer in schools. I believe that praying is something that happens at home or in your place of worship.