Things I'll Tell My Daughter Someday | Teen Ink

Things I'll Tell My Daughter Someday MAG

By Grace Meyers BRONZE, Oak Bluffs MA, Massachusetts
Grace Meyers BRONZE, Oak Bluffs MA, Massachusetts

When I read the eloquent poem “Things I'll Tell My Daughter Someday,” I felt really emotional. When the author says she can't believe that something so ugly (her body) could hold something so beautiful, it really got me thinking. Why does she feel that way about herself? What happened to the writer to make her feel she's worthless?

Rather than allowing her daughter to ever feel the way she does, she vows to teach her child the beauty of the world before she gets the chance to understand its ugliness. A few lines in particular made me change my mind about not wanting to have kids some day. One was “I'll teach her perfect before I teach her hate.” Another line that really spoke to me was “I will teach her beautiful before she learns weight.” This sentiment is truly beautiful because too many people out there are self-conscious about their bodies.

I love how Julie wants to teach her daughter to know perfection before she can comprehend flaws. I can relate to this poem since I know what it feels like to be depressed, and I hope one day to raise a beautiful daughter who feels like she's good enough for anything she desires. I've never, ever felt like that.

“Things I'll Tell My Daughter Someday” is truly beautiful. Accepting a brand-new human into the world and teaching her how to understand beauty before understanding ugliness is admirable.