Profanity in <i>Teen Ink</i> | Teen Ink

Profanity in Teen Ink MAG

October 31, 2012
By Felix Phillips BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
Felix Phillips BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Author Colin Weinshenker makes solid points in support of swearing in his opinion piece “Profanity in Teen Ink.” He argues well, and the essay is logically sound. Still, I disagree. Cursing should not be part of Teen Ink.

First, swearing in your writing decreases the quality of your work. It does not help describe ideas or objects more accurately. Sure, it adds pizazz, but at what cost? It makes the writer sound like someone who can’t express himself without it. He turns to swearing when he doesn’t have anything better to say. “It towered over him, making him feel small and insignificant” is better than “It was f**king huge, and he felt really f**king small.” The whole point of writing is finding the right word and putting it in the right place to make the reader smile or laugh or cry. A curse can be substituted for anything and make sense, sort of. It’s a cheap way out of finding the right word.

Second, swearing is unsophisticated. When you write, typically the goal is to sound intelligent. I fully approve of first-person fiction including swears if that’s how the character is supposed to talk. After all, he or she is the one telling the story. But otherwise, in writing and dialogue, profanity makes you sound dumb. When you walk down the street and hear someone yelling into his cell phone, cursing his head off, I’ll bet you don’t think, Gee, that seems like a smart guy.

Cursing represents a side of life that shouldn’t come near education, in my opinion. Education teaches you to speak correctly and eloquently, and swearing falls under neither of those categories. We swear when we speak casually, everyone does. I do. You do. Don’t deny it. But articles in Teen Ink should not sound the way we talk. They should be polished and sophisticated.