Alphabetical Disorder This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

“Alphabetical Disorder” by Elizabeth Vertina describes a very common issue that is often overlooked and dismissed, but clearly impacts many people.

In her article, Elizabeth mentions a study that shows that people whose last names are near the end of the alphabet have “lower ambitions and expectations for their futures” and are “five times more likely to suffer depression or attempt suicide.” I ­never thought that being seated alphabetically could have such an impact.

As a person who enjoys change every now and then, I've always loathed being seated in alphabetical order because I end up in the same part of the classroom every year.
So, thank you, Elizabeth, for bringing attention to this problem. It really should be taken into account by teachers, as well others in society.