Voldemort's Rap

Flipping through the pages of Teen Ink’s October issue, I stumbled upon a something that certainly caught my attention: “Voldemort’s Rap” by Zareen R. As a diehard Harry Potter fanatic, I not only find this poem entertaining, but hilarious and witty as well. It is narrated by Voldemort, the wickedest wizard of all seven books. His threats are all directed towards his greatest rival: Harry Potter.

My unduly excitement bounced from wall to wall when I came across the poem, being as the Harry Potter series are my favorite books. The sense of humor in it is one that I strongly admire. Some phrases, such as “elder wand” and “parseltongue,” can only be perceived by the truest of Potterheads (Harry Potter fans), and these references are used carefully and wisely.

I was a bit surprised when reading this piece. The poems in Teen Ink are typically beautiful, heartwarming, and/or tearful (which I have nothing against). “Voldemort’s Rap” is beautiful for being unique. There aren’t many writers who can successfully incorporate comedy and a well-known series into a 5-stanza poem.

There is only one concern I have with the poem. Though hilarious, the poet seems to have told a bit too much of the Harry Potter books. Those planning to or in the midst of the series will be revealed to some unexpected spoilers after reading the poem; otherwise, “Voldemort’s Rap” was nearly flawless.

Anyone who has read the Harry Potter series will enjoy the writing in its entirety. Thank you, Zareen, for composing “Voldemort’s Rap,” a clever poem that made me laugh until the sides of my stomach started to ache.

SHER_locked This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I totally agree, it was so hilarious! I just can't find it online though, so I can give the guy 5 stars...

WinkieM replied...
Yeah, it was definitely worth reading. That's a shame, it's such a good poem. :(