Reaction to Drown by Eagan Thomas | Teen Ink

Reaction to Drown by Eagan Thomas

October 17, 2012
By lukeholland BRONZE, Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
lukeholland BRONZE, Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
You can talk with someone for years, everyday, and still, it won’t mean as much as what you can have when you sit in front of someone, not saying a word, yet you feel that person with your heart, you feel like you have known the person for forever…. connections are made with the heart, not the tongue.


After reading Drown by Eagan Thomas, I was shocked when I came across the ending of his tale. What I was expecting was a pitiful story about suicide and what happens afterwards, but I was strangely encouraged to reach out. The ending of this piece was far from expected, and I would like to note how extremely well writing it really is. How do you know that what you say to someone won’t push him or her over the edge? All in all, you don’t They may be highly depressed and already experiencing something 10 times worst than what you deal with everyday, but you’ll never know. Life reveals itself in the oddest fashion, and you never know someone’s story fully. The metaphor of the captain and the ship is phenomenal. Do you think the captain would let someone die because he was afraid to get his clothes wet? No. But the real question is… Would you? I was amazed reading this, and I am proud to state that I will be the captain. I would never let someone drown, even if I have to drown myself.


The author's comments:
This is in response to another teenink article, from the September '12 edition. It is called 'Drown' by Eagan Thomas.