Being a Dog's Murderer | Teen Ink

Being a Dog's Murderer

October 11, 2012
By jjhearts BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
jjhearts BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

In the non-fiction article, How I Became a Murderer by Chelsea S the main narrator really connected with my heart. The article is basically about how the narrator became a “murderer” through her job. Chelsea was not someone who killed people; she just put dogs to sleep. When she injected a .22 needle filled with ketamine, into a dog that she didn't know, and then later injected something called “Fatal Plus” into the dog’s heart to make sure that he was dead, she promised herself that she would never again commit this kind of crime. Due to the fact that her job revolved around this, she continuously took the lives of dogs that were abandoned, ill with a terminal disease, or were just too wild and uncontrollable. She knew that she lied to herself, telling herself that the dogs were in less pain, and it was easier on them. When her boss led a pit bull in, Chelsea was unable to perform the crime without breaking apart in tears. The pit bull’s owner came out of prison but didn't want to take Hannibal (the pit bull) back home, so he was under a “protective custody case”. In the end, Chelsea was forced to put Hannibal to sleep. She wept tears after her deed, fully aware that it was a life that she never should have taken away. As she cleans the room where Hannibal was put to sleep, a phone call came in that made the narrator to fall into tears again. A friend of Hannibal’s owner called to ask if she can adopt Hannibal. As Chelsea tells the person what had happened, the caller had hung up unable to speak. She then took her keys; walked to her boss’s office and pretty much fired herself a.k.a. quit her job. On the anniversary of Hannibal’s death, the narrator took the ashes of Hannibal and sprinkled them at the beach.

This really connected with me because I know how it feels like to be separated from a pet that you are attached to. I had owned a dog for about three weeks before in the sixth grade. It was my dad’s friend’s dog, and she was a Yorkie terrier. When my dad brought her home, I fell in love with her at first sight. She was a cute small dog, and since it was her first time at my house, she was terrified yet curious of just about everything. Shorty (her name) was the smallest dog I had ever come across. Unfortunately for my brothers, they had allergies so she stayed in my room the entire three weeks. During those three weeks, I became really attached to her and adored her from my heart. I think all good things in life end…and sadly this amazing dog had to leave me. Her owner had come back from his trip a half a week early, so she was gone by the time I came back home from school. I was pure out devastated. Personally, I became attached to Shorty a lot. She was the best companion that I had as I was doing homework, studying, or just reading. I miss the times when I would be reading, and she would just sit on my back and sleep. Reading this article reminded me of Shorty, and realized that dogs were being put to sleep just because they didn't have an owner. I hope that putting dogs to sleep would decrease in percentage throughout the world. I love dogs, and when I become an adult I hope to be able to make a change for the animal I love the most…dogs.