Paper People | Teen Ink

Paper People

By capicorn BRONZE, White Heath, Illinois
capicorn BRONZE, White Heath, Illinois

In Sarah Martunano’s poem “paper People”, it reminds me about the unpleasant inconsiderate people out in the world.
No matter how ruthless and ignorant, you have to keep your head up. In the poem Sarah has self-confidants and refuses to be hurt with such low-grade assaults.
Have you ever heard of the saying “sticks and stones can break my bones but words will never hurt me.”? That is what the author is saying but only with paper hammers instead.
What she is also trying to say is, she is a breathing, living organism. She has feelings, if you were to call her a name she would be sad, if you stole something from her she would be mad, she is not an inanimate object like paper. If you were to cut her she would bleed unlike paper that would float towards the ground. And someday the beating of her heart will stop(hopefully 50 or so years from now.) unlike paper which isn’t even alive.
I can relate to what she saying and feels a lot of people want to bring me down but always fail. I now know I am not alone there r people out there that are still afloat in the ocean of haters. Sarah Martunano's poem has given me a new spark of light.