Feedback for Café Cubano | Teen Ink

Feedback for Café Cubano MAG

By Ashley Krawczyk BRONZE, Lake Worth, Florida
Ashley Krawczyk BRONZE, Lake Worth, Florida

“Café Cubano” by Matthew D. is an excellent article about being transported by drinking a cup of Cuban coffee.

As Matthew enjoys a cup of espresso at a hotel along the Hudson River in New York on a rainy day, it reminds him of the Cuban coffee he used to drink when he visited relatives in Miami. With his first sip, he is transported from that rainy day to happy family memories in hot, sunny Florida. He is reminded of the different foods, culture, and stories of his childhood vacations. Cuban coffee brings him back to a time when his life was simpler.

Matthew uses great imagery to explain his family memories – “Whenever I need stability in life, I'll order a cup of espresso and soon I'll feel surrounded by family and friends.” He uses flashbacks to give us insight into his visits to Miami – “It takes me back to hot summer days listening to nostalgic stories of what life was like for my relatives in Cuba – warm weather, white sands, a clear blue ocean,” and “the humid air feels heavy and thick.” This inspired me to reflect on my family vacation memories.

“Café Cubano” is a magnificent reminder that family memories are treasures; they make you who you are, and memories of happy times can help you face challenges in life.