Don’t Standardize Me | Teen Ink

Don’t Standardize Me

By Bernard Slawomirski GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
Bernard Slawomirski GOLD, Brooklyn, New York

In the article “Don’t Standardize Me,” Alix M strongly and boldly shows her view on the well-known and respected standardized tests— chiefly the SAT and ACT— administered annually to high school students in the United States. She exposes their occasional drawbacks and unfairness, making a good argument. Standardized tests, often unknowingly, favor specific social classes or ethnicities in this country. However, trying to replace these tests or balance them out through affirmative action programs, would lead to further obstacles. Alix’s solution— place less emphasis on standardized tests and gradually restructure them— is quite sound and capable of dealing with the problem.

I thank the Teen Ink contributing teenage journalists for writing about such critical and decisive topics as the one afore stated. It is heartening to know that in this new century there are still young people who care about the welfare of their society and world. It is important for us as a generation to share our thoughts and ideas, for out of collaboration come cunning solutions.

I am also grateful to the Teen Ink editors for allowing this magazine to be an easily accessible outlet for teenagers’ notions and beliefs. In addition, they compile the articles and facts that they receive into various interesting and informative installments, like this College Issue. These installments keep us aware of the events happening around us. But best of all, they let us see the incidents through the eyes of those who are similar to ourselves. Once again I give my thanks to and congratulate Alix, my fellow Teen Ink writers, and the Teen Ink staff for the great job that they have done.