Feedback for Cold-Hearted Youth | Teen Ink

Feedback for Cold-Hearted Youth MAG

By stardust_dragon007 SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
stardust_dragon007 SILVER, Brooklyn, New York

“Cold-Hearted Youth” talks about how young people today are laughing at matters that should be taken seriously. The article does hold some truth, but it talks about people as if they're all the same. Not everyone enjoys dark humor, and not everyone believes that violence is right, so the author should stop generalizing.

Jeshanah L. calls this “a vicious trend” and “an epidemic of cruel amusement,” and even goes so far as to say that there are those who teach children that violence is okay and entertaining. That's completely false – go to any school and you'll find staff encouraging students to fight kindly with words and to tell an adult if they are being physically abused.

She goes on to talk about how young people laugh at important topics because they don't matter to us. Well, that's to be expected. She shouldn't think that every 10-year-old will be reading The New York Times or watching FOX News. Simply put, many just don't find it interesting. Even if the news is interesting, it'll usually be about yet another sex scandal or political corruption – which is, after all, funny.

As they say, laughter is the best medicine.